Croque Monsieur, basically a fancy ham and cheese. Really fancy, and really delicious! Also, this month’s Secret Recipe Club pick. Did I ever enjoy myself looking through my assigned site, Authentic Suburban Gourmet, what a perfect name for this blog, as everything looks gourmet indeed! I had many options to pick from, ranging from Ice Cream to Savory Bread Pudding,(all pinned for later), but I eventually decided on the Croque Monsieur, because it is something I have always wanted to try. It is a pretty quick meal to put together, served with a side salad. Elegant, quick, tasty, put those three qualities together and you have a great meal. I know this is one I will be making the family again and again.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- dash of salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded Emmental cheese ( I used Swiss)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 slices nice white bread
- 8 slices deli sliced black forest ham
- Dijon mustard
1. Melt butter in small saucepan. Add flour and whisk for about two minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk and stir until sauce has thickened. Stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg. remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup of the Swiss cheese. Set aside while you get the bread ready.
2. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place bread on cookie sheet and toast both sides. Spread 4 slices of bread with Dijon Mustard ,top with 2 slices of ham each, top with remaining Swiss cheese. Top with second 1/2 of bread slices to make 4 sandwiches. Top with the Mornay Sauce that you made. Return to oven. Bake for 5 minutes. Broil for 3 minutes.
3. Eat and enjoy!
First of all I want to say Happy Anniversary to my husband. We have been married for 14 years. Yes, I got married when I was 18 , had my first baby at 20. I knew what I wanted and I went for it, and now I have the perfect family. Love it! Today, I will hopefully be walking around the zoo with my husband, if the weather decided to cooperate. So while I am off gallivanting away, I leave you with a recipe. I realize I already have a Meatball Sub recipe on the site, but sometimes you just need options. The first one, that I already posted is more of a “crunchy” meatball sub recipe. My husband likes this more, if he has a sandwich it is almost always made on toast. This new recipe is more of a “soft” meatball recipe. For people like me who enjoy the sogginess that comes from a beef tip, or dipping my toast in hot chocolate. So how do you prefer your bread, crunchy or soft?
Recipe from Allrecipes
- 1/3 cup CONTADINA® Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey ( I used beef)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large green sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can CONTADINA® Recipe Ready Crushed Tomatoes with Italian Herbs
- 6 Italian or French rolls, split
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Mix together brad crumbs, green onions, pepper and beef. Shape into meatballs and place in greased baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees.
2. Heat oil in skillet and saute mushrooms and pepper until tender, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Add meatballs and cook for about 5 minutes until meatballs are cooked through.
3. Scoop onto buns and top with cheese. Heat in oven until cheese is melted.
4. Eat and enjoy!
It is time for another Crazy Cooking Challenge and this month it is Grilled Cheese Sandwiches!
We usually have the standard Kraft singles grilled cheese served with Campbell’s tomato soup. A combo that just can’t be beat! However, now that I have found this gem of a recipe from a wonderful blog Closet Cooking I may have to change my tune. I didn’t really realize that there were so many grilled cheese options out there, sure I like to melt a little smoked gouda once in a while, occasionally I have dabbled in havarti with jalapeno, however Kevin really has mastered the grilled cheese! Go check out his site for oodles of grilled cheese (and other) amazing recipes! Here is the one I chose because it just looked plain delicious!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 dash of cinnamon
- 1 apple (peeled, cored and sliced)
- 2 thick slices of good cheddar cheese
- 2 slices of good bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
1. In small skillet melt butter and add brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook until brown and bubbly. Add apples and cook for about 5 minutes.
2. Spread each bread slice with 1/2 Tbsp of butter, assemble sandwich butter side down on skillet, top with one slice cheese, apple mixture, second slice cheese, and bread with butter on outside.
3. Cook over medium heat, flip when first side is golden brown, continue cooking until second side is golden brown.
4. Eat and enjoy!
Thank you Kevin for all the wonderful recipes! (Especially this one)
Check out everyone else’s grilled cheese below:
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…