Is there anything better than the smells that come from a slow cooker all day? The only problem with it is, it makes you want to eat all day long as you are salivating at the tempting smells coming from the kitchen. Plus then at dinner time all you have to do is scoop into bowls. Wonderful. I love my crock pot. Oh and P.S This is a large recipe, it fed 5 adults and 5 kids with enough for a couple of leftover lunches.
Recipe from Allrecipes
- 3 pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 4 large potatoes, cubed
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1. Place flour and salt in large bag (I used a Ziploc freezer bag) add beef and coat all beef pieces.
2. Heat oil in skillet and cook beef until browned. Place in slow cooker. ( You need a slow cooker at least 5 quarts or it will not fit!).
3. Add carrots, potatoes, parsley and pepper to slow cooker.
4. Mix boiling water and onion soup mix, add to slow cooker.
5. Melt butter in same skillet that you cooked the beef in, add onions and cook until tender ( about 5 minutes), add to slow cooker.
6. Pour red wine into skillet and scrap off all brown bits. Add to slow cooker.
7. Cook on high for 30 minutes, reduce to low and cook additional 6 hours.
8. Remove lid, stir together flour and water , stir into stew, cook additional 15 minutes to let stew thicken.
9. Eat and enjoy!