Of all the food in all the world baking is my absolute favorite. I am a baking addict. I would rather eat a home-baked cookie/muffin/loaf than almost anything in the whole world. When I am doing to weekly meal plan I was plan on two baking items, the first one is dessert, I like to call it the treat of the week. Then I also plan a snack, usually a muffin or loaf, that we can nibble on through the week. Last week’s pick was this lemon tea bread recipe that I found in The All-New Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook. It went so fast, the whole loaf was eaten in two days, we all enjoyed it plain, but even more when it was topped with Strawberry Jam. I hope you enjoy!
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp lemon rind, divided
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1. Beat together the butter and 1 cup of granulated sugar until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time.
2. Beat in 1 cup of flour, baking soda and salt, beat in milk, then remaining 1/2 cup flour.
3. Stir in 1 Tbsp of lemon rind. Scoop batter into a greased loaf pan.
4. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
5. Make glaze by stirring together powdered sugar and lemon juice. Pour over loaf. Stir together 1 Tbsp each of granulated sugar and lemon rind and sprinkle over glaze. Cut into slices after it has cooled.
6. Eat and enjoy!