I think winter is actually over. Heat is where it’s at now. I like to use my slow cooker a lot when the temperatures soar, it doesn’t heat up the house as much as having the oven on, plus it is oh so nice to not be cooking over the hot stove top come dinner time. I still like eating hot dinners though, so that leaves slow cooker or BBQ. Another thing that has come back with the heat is swimming lessons, which I booked exactly at supper time. This means that we have to have a really early supper or a really late one. I don’t want to send starving children into the pool so early it is, makes slow cooker even a bit more enticing. And so I made this delicious chili recipe, that actually contains not one speck of chili powder in the whole thing, oh well, it was yummy anyways.
Recipe from What’s Cooking Magazine Festive 2011
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green and yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes, ( 19 ounce)
- 1 can tomato paste (5.5 ounce)
- 1 can white kidney beans ( 19 ounce)
- 1/2 tsp each dried basil and oregano
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1. In large skillet crumble sausage, add onion and cook until meat is cooked through and onion is tender. Place in slow cooker.
2. Add next 4 ingredients and stir. cook on low for 4 hours. Add spices. cook on high for additional 10 minutes.
3. Serve into bowls and top with cheese.
4. Eat and enjoy!