It is rare for me not to use a recipe. I like recipes, you follow instructions and get a masterpiece. Easy peasy. Don’t know how to make something, just read, and go step by step and you can make anything. I love recipes. This recipe I actually came up with myself, shocking, I know, a little of this, a little of that, mixing using up some pantry stuff and you know what, they were fantastic, hence the name. So here you go a Jamie original, enjoy!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- syrup or fruit for serving
- cooking spray
1. Mix together first 6 ingredients. Add eggs, vanilla and milk. Stir until just moistened, you don’t want to over mix.
2. Spray skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Use a ladle to scoop pancake mix onto hot skillet. Flip when first side has cooked and cook 2nd side.
3. Serve with fruit or syrup or both.
4. Eat and enjoy!
I was really hoping that when I woke up today I would be miraculously better. Well, I am a little better, but it seems like I have had this cold forever. Apparently when sick, 5 days is an eternity. Slowly, slowly, I seem to be getting better every day. My throat hurts a little less, wasn’t up all night coughing and blowing my nose. These are all very promising signs. When I made the menu plan for the week (pre-cold) I planned all really healthy meals. Lots of sweet potatoes, broccoli, dark greens. I must have known what was coming, all the meals have been really quick to put together (especially since I made a big batch of sweet potatoes puree on Monday), plus really, extraordinarily healthy. I got almost all of this weeks recipes from the cook book Double Delicious, including this recipe for Chicken and Biscuits. I did get this cook book from the library, however I have definitely added it to my owner list, as all the recipes from it so far have been incredible!
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 can reduced fat cream of celery soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sweet potato puree
- Biscuit topping :
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup soft tub margarine ( I don’t generally use this product, so I used softened butter)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
1. Heat olive oil in large skillet, cook chicken and pepper until chicken has cooked through. Stir in celery soup, milk and sweet potatoes. Mix well. Pour into greased casserole dish (about 11×7).
2. Make biscuit dough by mixing together the dry ingredients. Slowly mix in margarine (or butter). Add remaining wet ingredients. Drop dough using large spoonfuls on to chicken mixture. ( I got 8 large biscuits).
3. Bake for 25 minutes at 375 degrees.
4. Eat and enjoy!
Ah, Friday, my favorite day of the week. This week pretty much kicked my butt, and so I am looking forward to my relaxing day at home, by myself! After homeschooling has finished for the day, I will be having some mommy reading time, and then movie night with the kids which will include pizza made by my son, an ice-cold glass of Wild Cherry Pepsi courtesy of my parents and Star Wars. I am starting The Silmarilion today, so hoping that is a good read, I read the introduction yesterday, could be a hard go, but I am going to give it a try! And on this wonderful day, a salad recipe for you.
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups diced, unpeeled apples
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 4 cups torn fresh spinach
- 4 cups torn romaine
1. To make the dressing whisk together the vinegar, oil, salt and sugar, set aside.
2. Mix the spinach and romaine in large salad bowl, top with apples, raisins and onions. Mix together, toss with dressing.
3. Eat and enjoy!
I love finding healthy recipes that all my kids like! I have entered zucchini season, I just can’t seem to get enough of the stuff, it has been my favorite vegetable over that last couple of weeks so always on the look out for new zucchini recipes. This recipe was super easy, super yummy. I served it with homemade bread, but if you want a gluten-free meal, it was very tasty just on its own too!
Recipe from Allrecipes.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 large zucchini, halved lengthwise ( I used about 5 small, no large ones in the store yet!)
- 3 cups Classico® Tomato and Basil Sauce
- 1 (8.75 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
1. Slice zucchini lengthwise and place in a 13×9 baking dish.
2. Brown ground turkey in skillet, drain and pour on top of zucchini.
3. Top with pasta sauce and corn, cover with tinfoil.
4. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove tinfoil, top with cheese bake an additional 5 minutes.
5. Eat and enjoy!