I checked out Southern Living Off the Eaten Path from the library because I have discovered I love Southern living Cookbooks! This one was no different, absolutely filled with amazing recipes. I chose to make this white beans and ham recipe because I still had Easter ham in my freezer, plus it was a really quick meal, perfect for Saturday when I rush home to make something quick after my girls dance classes. I have my eye on the Peanut Butter Crunch Pie recipe for a later date too! Serve the white beans and ham with cornbread, it was suggested in the book, and they tasted so good together!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped ham (cooked)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves. minced
- 1/2 tsp. onion salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 cans Great Northern Beans ( I couldn’t find these anywhere, possibly don’t have them in Canada, so I used White Kidney Beans)
1. Melt butter in large skillet, add onions,ham and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes until onion is tender.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients plus 3/4 cup of water. Bring to a boil. Cover, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring it once in a while.
3. Eat and enjoy!