Chili , for me, is a perfect meal. one of my favorites for sure. Easy, plus as an extra bonus you really don’t use that many dishes making it. This particular recipe was very good, I usually make the standard ground beef recipe, this one switched it up a bit, using ground chicken instead. Actually the original recipe called for ground turkey, but while at the store ground chicken was quite a bit cheaper so I decided to go with that. Really you could use any kind of ground meat in this recipe which makes it perfect for a last-minute meal. Ground beef, or pork, or of course the turkey, they would all be good. Chili, so tasty, so versatile, gotta love it!
Recipe from Southern Living What’s for Supper
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground chicken (or turkey)
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup beer
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro ( I did not use this, as my family does not like it)
1. Heat oil in large pot. cook onion for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add garlic cook 1 more minute. Add meat of your choice, chili powder and cumin. Stir and cook until meat has cooked through. Stir in tomato paste and cook for about 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients.
2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cover cooking for 30 minutes.
3. Eat and enjoy!