This month’s Secret Recipe Club assignment was Thrifty Veggie Mama ! I had a great time looking around her site looking for that delectable recipe that I would eventually pick. I was going to make the Roasted Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Lasagna however summer decided to produce a heat wave, and alas I did not want the oven on. Back to the drawing board as they say now to find a recipe I can cook on the stove top. Potato Pancakes were perfect, I whipped them up for a quick-lunch for the kid’s and me , served with a side of snap peas and crackers. They were a huge hit, and besides actually grating the potatoes it was a super quick recipe!
1. Mix all ingredients together. Heat a small amount of oil in frying pan and scoop spoonful of mixture use back of spoon to spread it out. Flip when first side is browned and cook second side.
2. Serve with Sour Cream or Applesauce ( I preferred the sour cream).
3. Eat and enjoy!
Check out all the other recipes at the link below:
4 cups shredded potatoes
2 T bread crumbs
- Sour cream and Applesauce for serving
Yesterday was Mike’s birthday! Mike is one half of our best friend couple. So I made German Chocolate Cake for the occasion. It was delicious! I have seriously been making some great cakes lately, that is one really nice thing about having a blog, it is an awesome way to keep track of recipes that you really love. This one is a keeper! I found it in one of my favorite cookbooks The Great American Brand Name Cookbook.
- 4 ounces Bakers German Chocolate
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 egg whites
1. Melt the chocolate and water together in saucepan, set aside to cool slightly.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together until creamy, add egg yolks one at a time. Beat in vanilla and melted chocolate.
3. In separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda and salt. Alternatly add this and the buttermilk until mixed.
4. Beat the egg whites in stand mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold into the cake batter.
5. Grease 3 8 inch round cake pans. Line with wax paper. Pour in cake batter and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Coconut Pecan Frosting
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1. Combine evaporated milk, sugar and egg yolks together in large sauce pan. Cook over medium heat for 12 minutes. The mixture should be thick and bubbly.
2. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut and pecans. Cool slightly. Beat until cool and thick.
3. Layer with cake, use one-third of the frosting recipe on each layer of cake.
4. Eat and enjoy!
Well another month, another crazy cooking challenge. This is the month of Chicken noodle soup, so I went out into blogland and searched until I found what I wanted. I didn’t want to have to boil a whole chicken so I knew when I saw this one on My German Kitchen…in the Rockies that I found a winner. This recipe only uses chicken breasts so it is easy peasy lemon squeezy. Here is link back to the original Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe, so thank you German kitchen, it really was very delicious, and I will be making it again for sure!
- 7 1/2 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 onions, cut into thin slices
- 3 ribs celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried sage – I thought I had this but I didn’t so I substituted Poultry Seasoning.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 4 chicken breasts
- about 4-5 cups cooked egg noodles (al dente)
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons, flour
1. Bring broth, bay leaves, and all veggies to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Add all seasonings and chicken breasts, return to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Slightly cover.
3. Remove chicken to cutting board and chop into bite sized pieces. Remove bay leaves.
4. Mix together butter and flour and whisk into soup , simmer 1-2 minutes. Return chicken to pot. Add egg noodles.
5. Eat and enjoy!
Please check out all the other Chicken Noodle soup recipes here:
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…