Croque Monsieur, basically a fancy ham and cheese. Really fancy, and really delicious! Also, this month’s Secret Recipe Club pick. Did I ever enjoy myself looking through my assigned site, Authentic Suburban Gourmet, what a perfect name for this blog, as everything looks gourmet indeed! I had many options to pick from, ranging from Ice Cream to Savory Bread Pudding,(all pinned for later), but I eventually decided on the Croque Monsieur, because it is something I have always wanted to try. It is a pretty quick meal to put together, served with a side salad. Elegant, quick, tasty, put those three qualities together and you have a great meal. I know this is one I will be making the family again and again.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- dash of salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded Emmental cheese ( I used Swiss)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 slices nice white bread
- 8 slices deli sliced black forest ham
- Dijon mustard
1. Melt butter in small saucepan. Add flour and whisk for about two minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk and stir until sauce has thickened. Stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg. remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup of the Swiss cheese. Set aside while you get the bread ready.
2. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place bread on cookie sheet and toast both sides. Spread 4 slices of bread with Dijon Mustard ,top with 2 slices of ham each, top with remaining Swiss cheese. Top with second 1/2 of bread slices to make 4 sandwiches. Top with the Mornay Sauce that you made. Return to oven. Bake for 5 minutes. Broil for 3 minutes.
3. Eat and enjoy!