Way back in Junior High, over 20 years ago, I had a very good friend who made the best Sugar Cookies ever. Seriously , my best friend and I still talk about how good they were. No sugar cookie has ever lived up to the memory. The cookies are so great in my mind that no cookie ever will live up to the memory. So I decided to start a sugar cookie search, and find the perfect recipe, and I must say the first try was great! That was a short search after all. Moist, great icing, this is one great cookie. Thanks to Jennifer over at Mother Thyme where I found this recipe.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 3 cups cake flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Frosting :
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- sprinkles, or food coloring (optional)
1. Cream butter in mixing bowl. Add sugar and cream until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, vanilla and sour cream. Beat in cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Refrigerate dough for one hour.
2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Gather about 3 Tbsp dough and roll into ball, flatten slightly with palm of your hand. Bake each batch for 10-12 minutes. Cool.
3. To make frosting, beat together butter and icing sugar one cup at a time, alternating with 1 Tbsp milk. Beat in vanilla. If you are tinting the frosting add food coloring now. Spread frosting a cooled cookies. ( Do not frost warm cookies as frosting will stick).
4. Eat and enjoy!