Yummy! I am in love with this cake. We had good friends of ours over last night for dinner and this was dessert. It was great. They all decided that you couldn’t taste the root beer, I thought it had a malty after taste, we all agreed however that it was one very good chocolate cake, maybe even one of the best I have made. It was so moist, and went perfectly with vanilla ice cream. My new go to recipe for cake! The recipe comes from Michelle over at Brown Eyed Baker a great blog if you are in the mood for anything sweet, actually she has some pretty great savory recipes over there too, so go check her out! Thank you Michelle for this great recipe!
For the Root Beer Bundt Cake:
- 2 cups root beer (do not use diet root beer)
- 1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup (4 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
For the Root Beer Fudge Frosting:
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- ½ cup (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup root beer
- 2/3 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
1. In medium-sized saucepan melt together the root beer, butter and cocoa powder. Stir until all butter has melted and mixture has combined. Pour into mixing bowl and let cool slightly.
2. Beat in both sugars and eggs.
3. Stir in the flour, baking soda and salt just until combined.
4. Pour into a greased bundt cake pan and bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes. (mine took 45 minutes, check with toothpick to test for doneness).
5. Remove from oven and cool.
6. To make frosting, place softened butter in mixing bowl, beat together with remaining ingredients, adding icing sugar last 1/2 cup at a time. Frost cake.
7. Eat and Enjoy!