This was one of the first recipes I discovered almost 15 years ago when I was a newlywed. We have loved it, and made it often ever since. It has been a long time since we have enjoyed this dish, so it was definitely time to bring it out, and enjoy it again. My mom gave me this big cookbook filled with pictures in it for my wedding shower. It has been used so much the binding has come loose, so when using it I have to handle with care. Many, Many recipes have been found and loved, many, many recipes, still waiting to be tried. This one is and will remain a family favorite.
Recipe from Great American Brand Name Cookbook
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 pkg Taco Seasoning mix
- 3 1/4 cups water, divided
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 can (8 ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp lemon pepper seasonings
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 8-10 medium flour tortillas
- grated cheddar cheese
1. In large skillet heat chicken with 3/4 cup water and taco seasonings. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and continue to simmer for 10 minutes. Use a spatula to place chicken and sauce in bowl. Set aside.
2. In same skillet, heat oil, add rice and cook until puffy and golden (about 10 minutes) over medium heat. Add remaining 2 1/2 cups water, tomato sauce and lemon pepper. bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, and cover, cook 20 minutes, until al liquid has been absorbed and rice is cooked. Stir in chicken mixture, tomato and green onions. Heat until tomatoes are warm.
3. Scoop mixture evenly between tortillas, and roll up. Place in large baking dish. Top with grated cheese.
4. Place in 350 degree oven until cheese is melted and tortillas are warm.
5. Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired.
6. Eat and enjoy!
Quiche is one of those foods that when I make it I think, Man this is so good, I should make this more often! Actually the whole family really loves eggs in most forms, but Quiche is very high up on the list for all of us. We order it at restaurants, eat it at home, all enjoy it. So why don’t I make it more? Good question, I do also love the variety of my kitchen. Come over for dinner and you never know what you’re going to get! This recipe was so quick to put together, although it does need a long bake time, so plan that when you make your meal plan. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!
Recipe from Allrecipes
- 1 pie shell, store bought or homemade
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp dried minced onion
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
1. Pre heat oven to 400 degrees. Cover pie shell with tinfoil and cook for 5 minutes. Remove tinfoil and cook additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
2. Layer ham, cheese, and onion in pie shell.
3. Whisk eggs in small bowl. Stir in cream and salt and pepper Pour over cheese. Return to oven and bake for 40 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before slicing.
4. Eat and enjoy!
As everybody knows yesterday was the Super bowl, and we actually had some people over to watch the game and enjoy some snacks. Did I watch the game, yes, I did! Okay I only watched it for ten minutes until I finished eating my own little plate of food, however, that was one yummy ten minutes! I love appetizers, it is always a fun “dinner” to have an array of appies to choose from. One of my all-time favorite starters is Corn Dip, so when I saw this Jalapeno Corn Dip over on Shugary Sweets I knew it must be made…immediately! Now I usually make a recipe following the directions exactly the first time and then tweak it to my liking on all following cooking ventures, however, this time didn’t quite go according to plan. The first thing that happened was the grocery store was out of fresh jalapeno, I guess I should not have waited until Super bowl weekend was actually here to do my shopping. Then we went a little hog-wild on movie night and used up all the cheddar cheese. I had Monterey Jack so I used that. And so here is the recipe how I made it, however head on over to the links above to check out the original!!
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can peaches and cream corn
- 2 Tbsp chopped pickled jalapeno slices
- Multi-grain Scoops for serving
1. Mix together all ingredients, except chips, in bowl. Refrigerate a couple of hours to let flavors combine.
2. Scoop that chip in the dip and eat!!
Is it just me or does the word casserole mean, only a little bit of work, kids are going to love it, makes your house smell like heaven because it is baking away in the oven. It’s true, I am always drawn towards any recipe that has the word casserole in the title. The kids adored this recipe, and the husband liked it as well. Okay it was a hit with everybody, even myself. There is nothing like sitting down with the family to a nice home cooked meal to visit and talk about your day. This experience is so much better without kids complaining about food, or me constantly telling them to take a bite. This recipe is that, therefore it will be made again! I hope your family has a chance to enjoy it around the table as well!
Recipe from Allrecipes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cups peeled and sliced potatoes
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Cook ground beef until brown in skillet. Drain off all fat.
2. In small bowl, mix together the soup, milk, onion, salt and pepper.
3. Layer, half potatoes, half soup mixture then half of beef. Repeat layers. ( you’ll need a 2 quart casserole dish, or 11×7)
4. Bake for 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and top with cheese, pop back in oven to melt cheese.
5. Eat and enjoy!