My best friend recently went to Disneyland, and guess what she brought me? A new cookbook! Yay! I love cookbooks, and was anxious to try something out from Cooking with Mickey and the Disney Chefs. It has recipes from all around the Disney Resorts, in both the parks and hotels, so I will be trying a lot out I am sure as I so love Disney! The first recipe that got the test is this one, Black Bean Soup with Johnny Cakes from Shutters at Old Port Royale at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort in Florida! It was delish!
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups diced yellow onions
- 1 cup each diced, carrots, green pepper and celery
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 1 Tbsp cumin powder
- dash of oregano
- 2 tsp paprika
- 3 dashes of hot sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs chopped fresh cilantro (I used a couple of dashes of dried)
- 1 Tbsp coarse salt
- dash of pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cans (15 ounce) black beans-don’t drain
- 2 cups water
1. Heat olive oil in large soup pot, add vegetables and garlic and cook until tender.
2. Stir in all spices. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Serve with Johnny Cakes.
- 1/2 cup white cornmeal ( I used yellow)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- dash of salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup hot water
1. Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat, lightly grease.
2. Drop batter and fry, flip to cook both sides.
3. Place one johnny-cake on top of soup in bowl.
4. Eat and enjoy!
Tips- Serve with fresh lime wedges and a dollop of sour cream.
Sometimes simplicity is the best recipe. After a really busy Thursday out, coming home to put away bag after bag of groceries, all I want is a simple dinner. Throw some ingredients in a bowl and stir. Perfect.
Original recipe from Kraft Canada
- 2/3 cup ranchers choice dressing
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 3 cups rotini pasta, cooked, rinsed and cooled
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Mix together salad dressing, spices and lime juice in a large bowl.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients.
3. Eat and Enjoy!
I spent the evening last night watching Strictly Ballroom. It is a zany movie about Ballroom dancing in Australia. I do love Baz Luhrman movies and this is his first. I had seen a bit of it before but never the whole thing. It was quite funny, I laughed a lot. And of course it was vegetarian Thursday, so we had these bad boys they were delicious. Two out of three kids asked for seconds so that is always a good sign!
Original recipe from Allrecipes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 8 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese-or Cheddar
- Your favorite taco fixin’s
1. Place black beans, salsa, cumin and chili powder in medium-sized saucepan.
2. Cook over medium-high heat for about ten minutes. Slightly mash beans with back of wooden spoon while you are stirring.
3. Serve on tortillas with cheese and your favorite taco fixin’s.
Tips- Also tastes good cold, so fill a tortilla with the leftovers , roll up and take in your lunch the next day.