This recipe was so perfect. I had all the ingredients in the house, plus it doesn’t use the oven, so perfect for summer. As the temperature’s keep rising I am trying to plan lots of stove top and crock pot dinners. Not to mention the BBQ, which is currently not working that well. Bummer! It was also super delicious, I kind of just made it for ease and then we were all surprised how much we liked it. We have found a hit!
Recipe from The Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook
- Small pat of butter and shortening
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 can tomato soup
- 2 cups cooked macaroni
1. Melt butter and shortening together in large skillet. Saute your onion and celery until tender. Add beef and cook until all pink bits are gone.
2. Stir in tomato soup . Stir in cooked macaroni.
3. Eat and enjoy!
Do you go through reading phases? I sure do, the most recent was my fantasy phase, still going through that one as I am currently reading through all the Harry Potter’s (again). Some of my other reading phases have been Ireland, Mounties, Russia, World War 2, Royalty, and The Amish. It was during the Amish phase that my mom bought me the cookbook The Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook. Many, many good recipes in this cookbook. Even though it has been years since I have read an actual book about The Amish, I would still love to stay for a weekend in an Amish Bed and Breakfast….one day!
Here is the recipe:
- 2 medium onions , chopped
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 qt. Water
- 1 head cauliflower chopped
- 1 head broccoli chopped
- 1 Tbsp onion salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 qt. hot milk
- 1 pound velveeta cheese, cut into small pieces
1. Melt butter in your soup pot, add onions, saute until tender. Add water, cauliflower, broccoli, onion salt and pepper.
2. Bring to a boil and cook until vegetables are tender. Mash with a potato masher (I was being lazy, I just used a blender)
3. Mix together the water and flour to make a paste. Whisk into soup mixture. Remove from heat and add, cheese and milk, heat on stove until heated through and cheese has melted, do not boil.
4. Eat and enjoy!