So we have this thing in our house called “pick of the month”. Basically everybody gets to pick one thing to eat or drink, kids and husband included, it can range from dessert, snack , meal, whatever they want. Once in a while my hubby decides to challenge me and pick something I have never made before. This month, homemade Donairs. Challenge accepted. Actually turns out they were really easy, just need a long time to cook the meat. A new meal that the whole family enjoyed.
Recipe from Allrecipes
- 1 teaspoon each, salt, oregano, all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon each pepper, Italian seasonings, garlic powder, onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 pnd ground beef
- 1 (12 ounce can) evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp vinegar
- Pita bread
- Pickles (Or whatever you want to add)
1. Mix meat spices together in large sturdy bowl. I used a large ceramic bowl so it stays in place. Using your hands mix in all spices. Pick up meat mixture and slam down with force into bowl. Knead meat. Repeat about 20 times.
2. Shape meat into a loaf and place on baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Flip. Bake additional 35 minutes.
3. Place on cutting board and let rest for 10-20 minutes.
4. After you put meat in the oven make sauce by whisking together all sauce ingredients. Place in fridge until ready to use. Stir before putting on donairs.
5. Warm pita. Cut in half and fill with fixin’s. Thinly slice meat and add to pita. Top with a few Tablespoons of sweet sauce.
6. Eat and enjoy!