Another of the Super Bowl snacks that I made over the weekend. Now I’m not going to lie, my husband was a bit disappointed that I chose to make this new recipe instead of regular devilled eggs. After trying these out though, I am certainly glad I made them. Although not as pretty as regular devilled eggs, they taste great. They also were a great accompaniment to the Jalapeno Corn Dip I served. Plus one of the boys brought these cute little mini tacos, so all in all, my mouth was in Mexi-heaven.
Today you guys all get an extra post! Over in Group D of The Secret Recipe Club they had some orphans. What is an orphan you ask? Well, who ever got this lovely blog, The Saucy Gourmet, was unable to post today. So I headed on over to see what I could make on a short time schedule and lo and behold I found this recipe for Easy Baked Taco Shells! We already had Tacos on the menu tonight, so a slight shift in the menu and Taco Salad is served! This is a fun way to serve your Tacos and a nice change from the usual store-bought Taco shells. I will definitely be making these again. It would even be fun to fill it with a Mexican themed soup, such as Chicken Tortilla, or even chili topped with cheese. So many possibilities! So here you go on to the recipe!
1/4 tsp olive oil
1. Place warm water (just a small amount, about 1/8 cup) in pie plate, mix with olive oil. Place tortilla in and flip to get both sides wet.
2. Take an empty food can and cover with aluminum foil. Drape tortilla over food can, and bake for 5 minutes, at 450 degrees. Repeat depending on how many shell bowls you would like.
3. Fill with your favorite taco fillings, we used lettuce, tomato, cucumber taco meat, cheese, salsa, sour cream and of course jalapeños!
Good morning everybody! Today is the day that life gets back to normal around here. School is starting up again, and wouldn’t you know it, I have a cold. Now that really doesn’t make me that motivated to home school my kids, but I better get the ball rolling anyways. Not that they wouldn’t enjoy an extra day off, I am sure they would love it, but why postpone the inevitable. I had this cold all weekend, and let me tell you it made me kind of grumpy. I very rarely get sick, and I was super annoyed that it happened on the weekend when I had to miss fun things….like chocolate eating. Luckily I wasn’t sick when I made this delicious meal. It was so good! The original recipe comes over from Food.com. I found it on Pinterest!
If you would like to follow me on pinterest, just click on the link above, if you would like to get Facebook updates, go ahead and like me here : Our Eating Habits Facebook Page
And now on to the recipe:
1 lb chicken breasts, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
8 flour tortillas
1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, divided
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 can (15 ounce) chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 can (4 ounce) green chiles
1. Heat oil in large skillet, cook chicken and onion until onion is tender and chicken is cooked through. Evenly divide this mixture between the 8 tortillas. Set aside 3/4 cup of the cheese for topping. Divide remaining cheese between the tortillas. Roll up , and place in a greased 13×9 inch baking dish.
2. To make the sauce, melt butter in saucepan, whisk in flour to make a roux. Gradually add the chicken broth, bring to a boil, stirring often until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and chiles. Pour over enchiladas. Top with 3/4 cup of cheese that you set aside.
What a great weekend! In our house we celebrate birthday weekends. Yup , that’s right, we think birthdays should get more than one day celebration. We kicked off the party on Friday, with The Hobbit. That is right we went to a movie on opening night. This is a very, very rare occurence in our house. We are more, go on a Wednesday night when the theaters are less busy kind of people. But it was fun, and both hubby and I loved the movie. Can hardly wait til it comes out on DVD so I can watch it to my little hearts content! Saturday was the family party, we all meet at Dairy Queen for Ice Cream. Yup, really I’m like a kid, and I wanted some delicious Dairy Queen soft serve! Yum, Strawberry Sundae! Saturday evening my husband was working, so what better to do than make some homemade pizza and snuggle in with the kids to watch Christmas movies! We watched Elf, it was the kids first time seeing that movie, and they have voted it best Christmas movie of all time. Then on to one of my absolute favorites, Mickey’s Christmas Carol. Pretty much the perfect night. This pizza of course was the perfect addition. I made homemade pizza crust so took a little longer, but otherwise it was a snap! I had mine with a little sour cream and jalapeno. The kids had theirs plain. Everyone liked it though, so we were all left fully satisfied.