This year at Thanksgiving I did not make enough gravy! We at the whole batch and I do believe the gravy bowl was even licked clean, okay well at least swiped with bread to get all that gravy goodness. So I needed to find a great recipe for gravy that didn’t use animal fat, enter Allrecipes. I found this milk based gravy and made a batch to go with our leftovers ( had plenty of those), and the whole family loved it! Yay, a great new gravy recipe, I assume this will be made often when we are having mashed potatoes, I think it would be great with many, many dinner options!
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 cups milk
1. Heat vegetable oil in saucepan. Add flour and seasonings. Stir and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
2. Gradually whisk in milk, stirring so no lumps form. Continue to cook until gravy is your desired consistency.
3. Eat and enjoy!
So another New Year’s has come and gone. I am going to tell you a secret. I used to hate New Year’s Eve. I always felt like there should be huge attention paid and ended up with high expectations, low results. About 5 years ago my best friend and I decided that we should just stay home with the kids make chocolate fondue, watch movies, play games, perhaps even go to bed early. Best New Year’s Ever! And so now it has become an annual tradition a relaxing and yummy New Year’s and after all the hubbub of Christmas it is perfection. This is the recipe that is made every year because it is so good!
Recipe from Allrecipes
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 (14 ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Melt chocolate chips, butter, condensed milk and water together in a small saucepan until heated and smooth.
2. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and pour into fondue pot.
3. Light the candle , eat and enjoy!
Dipping ideas- Any fruit (pineapple, strawberries and bananas are our favorites, also mandarin oranges and maraschino cherries are really good), marshmallows, pound cake, nuts, pretzels, leftover christmas baking, granola bars, ju-jubes, gummy bears, have fun!
Awhile ago at my Tuesday Bridge club I made this taco dip which resulted in my eating it all night long. And the next day I ate the leftovers too. I have been wanting to make it again ever since. Is it bad to dream about Taco Dip? This is by far the best dip that I have ever made, I hope you enjoy it too! Recipe found in Kraft What’s Cooking Magazines.
World’s Best Taco Dip- Originally called six-layer dip but it just deserves a better name!
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. Taco seasoning mix
- 3 Tbsp. Salsa
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 3/4 cup grated cheese-I used Cheddar
- 2 green onions
1. Cut Avocado and mix half with cream cheese using an electric mixture. Spread onto bottom of a 9 inch pie plate.
2. Mix sour cream and taco seasoning and spread on top of cream cheese layer.
3. Chop remaining avocado and mix with salsa. Spread on top of sour cream layer.
4. Top with cheese, tomato and green onions.
5. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips, chips or crackers. ( I will be using multi-grain scoops, Yum!)
Tips- When choosing a ripe avocado look for dark skin and squeeze gently, if ripe the inside will yield slightly.
Am I ever having a lazy cooking weekend! Sometimes it’s nice to just sit back, relax and let the other people do the cooking. Last night for our Friday movie night we had a delissio pizza and some Doritos. Not the healthiest of suppers I know , but the kids loved it. I didn’t repeatedly have to tell them to take a bite. They just ate, without any coersion whatsoever. Bliss. And now onto the BBQ portion of the weekend. Going to a BBQ today, going to a BBQ tomorrow. For our first BBQ, I am taking a fruit tray and I thought this dip sounded nice and light. Perfect for a summer BBQ.
Original recipe by Regina King at Allrecipes.
Lemon Fruit Dip
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1. Easiest recipe ever. Mix all ingredients with whisk, and serve with fruit of your choice.