Rarely, does a vegetarian recipe come along that I love. Well, maybe I spoke or “wrote” to soon. I love cheese pizza. My chickpea curry is a staple recipe. I can quite happily eat a whole pan of sautéed mushrooms all on my lonesome. Broccoli cheese soup, grilled cheese, all rank high in my books. This one though. SO much flavour. I served it with coconut rice on the side. I love that too. Okay, maybe meat is over rated. Maybe I do love the occasional vegetarian cuisine. This one I will be making again and again, and then again. The only thing I changed was to sprinkle with cayenne pepper, and even then I only did that to my individual portion so it is totally optional.
Recipe from Betty Crocker Vegetarian Cooking
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced- I at least doubled this, if not more. Basically just use a big scoop of minced garlic
- 1 cup diced butternut squash – I used frozen. Already diced. Super easy.
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- Hot rice for serving, I used coconut.
- Peel onions. Dice one onion. Slice one onion.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add onions and garlic. Cook until onion is tender. As soon as onions start to turn brown add next 6 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 8 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add chickpeas. Continue to heat until chickpeas are cooked through. Serve on top of rice. * Sprinkle with cayenne if desired.
- Eat and enjoy!