I do believe that my children have turned into Hobbits. They have been taking swimming lessons, of course right on the dinner hour. As I don’t want to send them to swimming starving this is making us have dinner at the very, very early hour of 4:30. After swimming they are again starving, and asking for second supper. Maybe I should rethink this dinner time, and have dinner after swimming sending them to swimming with just a snack in their bellies. I made this delicious pasta last night, carbs, perfect for before physical activity, and yet they were still starving beasts. Our family absolutely loved this dish, every single one of us! So good. We will be making it again, and I think soon too!
Recipe adapted from Our Life Tastes Good
- Dry Penne Pasta (16 ounces, or 450 g)
- olive oil
- 2 Tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, different colors, I used yellow and red
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried cilantro
- 1 avocado
- 3/4 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
1. Cook pasta to until tender, drain.
2. In large skillet heat a dash of olive oil. Add onion, and bell pepper. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. of the cumin, and 1/2 tsp. of cayenne. Stir fry until tender and a bit charred. Stir in garlic and cook an additional minute. Remove from pan.
3. In same pan heat more olive oil. Add chicken. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp. of cumin, 1/2 tsp. cayenne and salt & pepper. Cook until chicken has browned and is cooked through. Return vegetables to pan. Add 3 Tbsp. of the lime juice, and the oregano and cilantro. Stir until combined and heated through. Stir in drained pasta.
4. Slice avocado and toss with remaining Tbsp. of live juice.
5. Place pasta mixture in bowls. Top with avocado and cheese.
6. Eat and enjoy!