This was one of the first recipes I discovered almost 15 years ago when I was a newlywed. We have loved it, and made it often ever since. It has been a long time since we have enjoyed this dish, so it was definitely time to bring it out, and enjoy it again. My mom gave me this big cookbook filled with pictures in it for my wedding shower. It has been used so much the binding has come loose, so when using it I have to handle with care. Many, Many recipes have been found and loved, many, many recipes, still waiting to be tried. This one is and will remain a family favorite.
Recipe from Great American Brand Name Cookbook
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 pkg Taco Seasoning mix
- 3 1/4 cups water, divided
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 can (8 ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp lemon pepper seasonings
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 8-10 medium flour tortillas
- grated cheddar cheese
1. In large skillet heat chicken with 3/4 cup water and taco seasonings. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and continue to simmer for 10 minutes. Use a spatula to place chicken and sauce in bowl. Set aside.
2. In same skillet, heat oil, add rice and cook until puffy and golden (about 10 minutes) over medium heat. Add remaining 2 1/2 cups water, tomato sauce and lemon pepper. bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, and cover, cook 20 minutes, until al liquid has been absorbed and rice is cooked. Stir in chicken mixture, tomato and green onions. Heat until tomatoes are warm.
3. Scoop mixture evenly between tortillas, and roll up. Place in large baking dish. Top with grated cheese.
4. Place in 350 degree oven until cheese is melted and tortillas are warm.
5. Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired.
6. Eat and enjoy!