I have found a new site full of great recipes! Don’t you just love when that happens. The site I am talking about this time around is King Arthur Flour. Go, enjoy, drool. That is where I found this recipe for Chocolate Zucchini Cake that was specifically requested when we had friends of ours over for dinner. They have like a bajillion other recipes I have my eye on so after pinning several I finally just added the whole website to my favorites list. Keep an eye out, I am sure there are many more to come on this little blog of mine, for now, enjoy this Chocolate Zucchini Cake.
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream, buttermilk, or yogurt
- 2 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup King Arthur All-Purpose Baking Cocoa or Dutch-process cocoa
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder, optional but tasty
- 3 cups shredded zucchini (about one 10″ zucchini)*
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Plus 1 cup chocolate chips for “icing”
1. Beat together butter, oil, sugar, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Beat in eggs.
2. Stir together the flour, cocoa, and espresso powder. Alternately add this with yogurt (or sour cream or buttermilk). Stir in zucchini and 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. The original recipe called for 30-35 minutes, mine just would not cook in the middle, so you may want to start there.
3. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips, return to oven for 5 minutes. Spread chocolate chips on cake. Cool.
4. Eat and enjoy!