I found these on my quest to find the perfect Cranberry Orange Muffin/Loaf and decided to give them a try even though they are cranberry free. Definitely the best orange muffin recipe I have come across so far. They were moist, flavorful, a wonderful addition to our vegetable soup that we had for dinner.
Recipe from Allrecipes
- 1 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. Separate eggs, beat egg whites until peaks form, set aside.
2. Beat together the shortening and sugar until mixed. Add egg yolks. Mix until fully combined.
3. Mix together the orange juice, orange peel and extracts.
4. In separate bowl mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Alternately add flour mixture and orange juice mixture until both have been mixed in.
5. Gently fold in egg whites. Fill 12 paper lined muffin cups with batter. Bake for 23 minutes at 375 degrees.
6. Eat and enjoy!