Last night for dessert we had a make your own banana split extravaganza. I started out putting the bananas and vanilla ice cream in our special banana split dishes and then let the kids decorate them. There was chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, strawberries, coconut, chocolate chips, mini M&M’s, and peanut butter. The kids had a blast! I wanted to balance this with a healthy supper, plus I had a bunch of spinach still left over from last week, so this salad was on the menu. Best. Salad. Ever. Seriously, I would totally order it at a restaurant, and now I can make it at home. I foresee us actually reusing a recipe! Make it , Eat it, Enjoy!
Recipe from Allrecipes
- 1 cup shelled pistachio nuts
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- garlic powder to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 (10 ounce) package baby spinach leaves, rinsed and drained
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado – peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, julienned ( I used red pepper)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- bottled balsamic salad dressing, to taste
1. Arrange spinach, tomatoes, avocado, pepper and green onions in bowls. Set aside while you cook chicken.
2. Sprinkle chicken with garlic powder and black pepper. Spread out half of pistachios on plate. Place one chicken breast at a time to pistachios pressing the on to chicken, repeat with remaining chicken, fill plate with pistachios as needed. Sprinkle salad with remaining pistachios. ( toss the ones that have touched the raw meat).
3. Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken for 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Slice.
4. Top salad with balsamic dressing, parmesan cheese and chicken.
5. Eat and enjoy!