Vegetarian Thursday was upon us yesterday and it was a cold rainy day. Perfect for homemade soup and bread! Today looks to be shaping up to be the same, lucky me, I love rainy days that I can snuggle in with a good book, a big cup of tea and my glorious fireplace ( that I have been missing very much this summer). I am reading Fall of Giants by Ken Follett right now (for the second time) and thoroughly enjoying it yet again. I really should clean the school room and start to get it ready for the ever looming start of homeschooling, but I can tell you it won’t be happening today. Today is for quiet time with my book, and movie night with my kids. It’s gonna be a great day! On to the soup, it was yummy, really yummy in fact, I loved the roasted onions, plus my kids all really liked it too. Served with a nice piece of warm freshly baked bread it was the perfect, exactly what I was in the mood for meal!
Recipe from Allrecipes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth - (I used Organic Vegetable Broth)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. Drain tomato juice into a large soup pot. Place tomatoes, onions and garlic in 11×7 baking dish. Sprinkle with olive oil. Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes.
2. Add tomato mixture to juice in soup pan. Add broth, celery, and barley.Bring to boil, reduce to low and simmer covered for 35 minutes.
3. Stir in Parsley.
4. Eat and enjoy!