It’s hot here, so hot my kitchen has become a no man’s land. No cooking, no baking. Last night for dinner I put some cold chicken and salad in a wrap, served with a side of potato chips, dessert was store-bought cookies! Gasp, I know! Unbelievable! It was fast, and took no heat so I was happy. Last week I made this chili for when we got home after swimming lessons, I love using the crock pot, making supper in the morning and having it bubbling away all day. For dinner we just have to serve it up! I really must use my crock pot more often!
Recipe from Canadian Living The Slow Cooker Collection
- 4 thick slices bacon, chopped
- 1 1/4 pound boneless pork, cubed
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 each, carrot and green pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp each dried oregano and cumin
- 1/4 tsp each, salt and pepper
- 2 cans kidney beans I used 1 red , 1 white
- 1/2 cup canned tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, chopped
- half orange or yellow pepper, diced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
1. Fry bacon until crisp , place bacon in slow cooker. Cook pork in the bacon grease until brown, place in slow cooker.
2. Drain fat, wipe skillet with paper towel, add oil and fry onions, carrots, green pepper, garlic, oregano, cumin and s+p, until veggies are tender, place everything in slow cooker.
3. Add 1 cup of water to skillet and bring to a boil, use a spatula to scrape brown bits, add to slow cooker. Add additional 1 cup water, beans and tomatoes to slow cooker as well. Stir. cook on low for 6-8 hours.
To make salsa combine ingredients and chill until ready to use.
Serve chili topped with salsa, optional, serve with a side of tortilla chips to dip.
4. Eat and enjoy!!