Our weeks meals have all been either really easy, like last night’s grilled cheese with potato salad and beans, or using the crock pot, like this soup recipe that I found in Canadian Living The Slow Cooker Collection. The reason for this is my kids have been in swimming lessons in the late afternoon which means that we are home at about 5:45. We usually eat early, so this plan has been working out perfect. As the kids are in swimming lessons next week as well, I just need to come up with one more fast meal plan. It was fun, and I have to admit, it was nice coming home to dinner already finished!
- 4 italian sausages (I used 5)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 each,onions, carrots, and celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 can kidney beans ( I used 1 red, and 1 white), drained and rinsed
- 1 can (28 ounce) tomatoes, mashed
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 small zucchini , chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley ( I forgot to add this)
- half small cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup macaroni pasta
- grated parmesan cheese
1. Cook Italian SAusage in oil, when brown remove with slotted spoon and place in slow cooker.
2. Cook onions, carrots and celery with garlic, oregano and salt in same pan until tender. Add to slow cooker. Pour one cup of water into pan and bring to a boil, scrap off brown bits, add to slow cooker.
3. Add beans, tomatoes, pepper and bay leaf,plus 5 cups water, cook on low for 6 hours.
4. Add zucchini and parsley, turn heat up to high, for last 20 minutes.
5. While zucchini is cooking, bring a pot of water to a boil, cook cauliflower and pasta for 6 minutes, stir in to soup.
6. Remove bay leaf. Serve soup with parmesan cheese.
7. Eat and enjoy!