My best friend recently went to Disneyland, and guess what she brought me? A new cookbook! Yay! I love cookbooks, and was anxious to try something out from Cooking with Mickey and the Disney Chefs. It has recipes from all around the Disney Resorts, in both the parks and hotels, so I will be trying a lot out I am sure as I so love Disney! The first recipe that got the test is this one, Black Bean Soup with Johnny Cakes from Shutters at Old Port Royale at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort in Florida! It was delish!
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups diced yellow onions
- 1 cup each diced, carrots, green pepper and celery
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 1 Tbsp cumin powder
- dash of oregano
- 2 tsp paprika
- 3 dashes of hot sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs chopped fresh cilantro (I used a couple of dashes of dried)
- 1 Tbsp coarse salt
- dash of pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cans (15 ounce) black beans-don’t drain
- 2 cups water
1. Heat olive oil in large soup pot, add vegetables and garlic and cook until tender.
2. Stir in all spices. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Serve with Johnny Cakes.
- 1/2 cup white cornmeal ( I used yellow)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- dash of salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup hot water
1. Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat, lightly grease.
2. Drop batter and fry, flip to cook both sides.
3. Place one johnny-cake on top of soup in bowl.
4. Eat and enjoy!
Tips- Serve with fresh lime wedges and a dollop of sour cream.