Yesterday was Mike’s birthday! Mike is one half of our best friend couple. So I made German Chocolate Cake for the occasion. It was delicious! I have seriously been making some great cakes lately, that is one really nice thing about having a blog, it is an awesome way to keep track of recipes that you really love. This one is a keeper! I found it in one of my favorite cookbooks The Great American Brand Name Cookbook.
- 4 ounces Bakers German Chocolate
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 egg whites
1. Melt the chocolate and water together in saucepan, set aside to cool slightly.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together until creamy, add egg yolks one at a time. Beat in vanilla and melted chocolate.
3. In separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda and salt. Alternatly add this and the buttermilk until mixed.
4. Beat the egg whites in stand mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold into the cake batter.
5. Grease 3 8 inch round cake pans. Line with wax paper. Pour in cake batter and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Coconut Pecan Frosting
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1. Combine evaporated milk, sugar and egg yolks together in large sauce pan. Cook over medium heat for 12 minutes. The mixture should be thick and bubbly.
2. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut and pecans. Cool slightly. Beat until cool and thick.
3. Layer with cake, use one-third of the frosting recipe on each layer of cake.
4. Eat and enjoy!