Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of those recipes that I have had my eye on for years, literally. I added this to my recipe box at Allrecipes in 2006. I just finally got around to making it, and I am sorry it took me so long because it was delicious, easy and fast! Thankfully last friday for movie night we had leftover tortilla chips from our Nachos, so this finally got added to the menu plan! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 8 ounces corn tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
1. Heat olive oil and cook chicken in large soup pot until browned (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic and cumin, stir until chicken is coated.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients (not the tortilla chips or cheese), simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Crush tortilla chips into bottom of bowls and scoop soup on top, top with cheese.
4. Eat and Enjoy!
Tips- Garnish with sour cream and green onions.