Sometimes when you like to try out new recipes like I do you get a little carried away.This recipe was actually pretty good but because I chose to make it on Christmas eve it was a bit disappointing. On holidays you expect meals with pizzazz, and I had previously mentioned to the family that I was thinking of making Lasagna. Big mistake. So I am just going to admit this was not our favorite, although it did get eaten, even by the kids so maybe it was just bad timing. Anyways, if you are going to make this it does take a long time plus soaking of beans so plan ahead!
Recipe found in Company’s Coming Cooking at Home
- 2 1/3 cups dried navy beans
- water to cover
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 bone-in skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 14 oz. ca diced tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 medium lemon, cut into 8 slices
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. salt
1. Soak beans overnight. Drain and place in large casserole dish.
2. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large frying pan and fry onions and celery until tender, stir into beans. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, garlic, bay leaves and pepper to bean mixture as well.
3. Heat 1 Tbsp, in same frying pan and brown chicken on both sides. Nestle chicken into bean mixture and top each piece with one slice of lemon.
4. Bake covered at 320 degrees for 3 1/2 hours.
5. Remove bay leaves and lemon, stir in salt and parsley and serve.
6. Eat and enjoy!