Recipe adapted from Allrecipes
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup hot milk
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/3 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line 12 muffin cups with liners.
2. Cream together the butter, sugar, molasses, egg and egg yolk until combined. Beat in remaining dry ingredients and then hot milk.
3. Scoop into prepared muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes. Cool before frosting.
4. To make frosting beat together butter, cream cheese and lemon extract. Add icing sugar 1/3 cup at a time. Pipe onto cupcakes.
5. Eat and Enjoy!