It’s Halloween. We love holidays in this house. We even make up our own. Yup we are quirky like that. So Happy Halloween everybody, it looks like we may be trick or treating in the snow tonight! I bought a bunch of candy to hand out so I am hoping that we get lots of kids! In our house this year we will be having Batman, A Bride and a female version of the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland. To cute!
Anyways here is a quick and easy recipe for pumpkin seeds.
- About 3 1/2 cups pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- dash of pepper
1. After pulling out pumpkin seeds, rinse of all pumpkin residue.
2. Mix in bowl with all other ingredients until coated.
3. Bake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
4. Eat and Enjoy!
An easy way to make our daughter happy is to tell her we are going to Mr.Sub for lunch. It is by far her favorite restaurant. I think it is because she gets to say extra tomatoes and watch to make sure that they actually do it. She is cute. A nice healthy Sunday afternoon for us.
I had the Philly Steak and Cheese Sub and I must say it was pretty tasty. I will be getting that again sometime in the future.
Have you ever been walking down the aisles , grocery shopping with your kids and they ask you if you can buy this sugary cereal, a certain kind of ice cream, oatmeal, the list goes on and on….just like the questions in the grocery store. Well, in our house we have come up with a solution! The first of every month every person in the house gets to pick one thing they would like in the following month. It can be anything really, breakfast, an item from the grocery store, dinner, drink, dessert…..in exchange for this they leave me in peace at the grocery store! Perfect. It is also really fun for me to hear what they pick on the first. This is what our middle daughter picked for the month of October, and since it is a movie friendly food we combined it with popcorn and Atlantis the Lost Empire for a perfect friday movie night.
- 1 pizza crust- I like to make homemade but store-bought is fine too.
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 2 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. dried basil
- Dash of pepper, salt , and dried oregano
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 small tomato-chopped
1. Pre heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Press pizza dough into pizza pan. Spread with pizza sauce and cheese. Bake for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile whisk together remaining ingredients (except tomato) in small bowl. After the 20 minutes is up pour on top of pizza. Return to the oven and cook an additional 5 minutes.
4. Top with tomato.
5. Eat and enjoy!
I was going to say of all the pies in all the world cream pies are my favorite. Then I remembered pumpkin, which made me think of pecan. Okay so I like a lot of pies. But I really do like cream pies too. This one did not disappoint. It was super yummy, probably because it had banana which is my favorite fruit! Once when my niece was really little and I brought out some banana cookies she proclaimed “You must really like bananas, you put them in everything”. Well it’s true I do like bananas in my baking so without further ado here is the recipe.
Original recipe adapted from Allrecipes.
- 1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups whipping cream, divided
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 (1 ounce) squares semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- 2 medium firm bananas. sliced
1. Mix graham cracker crumbs and melted butter and press into pie plate. Set aside.
2. Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt and milk together in medium saucepan.Gradually add 1 cup of whipping cream. Cook over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly, stirring often.
3. Whisk a small amount into egg yolks. Add egg yolk mixture back to saucepan and cook for an additional 2 minutes , stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in 1 tbsp. butter and vanilla.
4. Melt chocolate in microwave safe medium-sized bowl. Stir in half of the custard you just made on the stove.
5. Pour remaining half into pie crust. Put Saran wrap on and place in fridge for about 1 hour. PLace Saran wrap on top of chocolate mixture in bowl and place in fridge for 1 hour.
6. After fully cooled place sliced bananas on top of custard mixture in pie plate. Top with chocolate mixture.
7. Beat remaining 1 cup whipping cream and put on top of pie. Refrigerate for an additional 2 hours.
8. Eat and Enjoy!