What is with this late September heat wave we have been having? I was all geared up for fall, getting my big soup pot out, unpacking my sweaters. It seems the weather should be turning back to more fall like weather this week, just in time to make this yummy, light soup. Now I am just hoping I can pack up my shorts!
Original recipe from Kraft
- 1 1/4 cups chopped carrots ( about 2 medium)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion ( about 1 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery ( about 2 stalks)
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup instant rice, uncooked
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1. Cook carrots, onions and celery in oil for about 3 minutes.
2. Add broth and water and bring to a boil.
3. Add Broccoli and rice and simmer until rice is cooked and broccoli is tender ( about 10-15 minutes)
4.Add soup to blender in small bathes and puree. Return to pot when all soup is done.
5. Stir in milk and parmesan and cook until just heated through.
Tips- To make this vegetarian substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.