On Monday evening we had BBQ Bacon Cheeseburgers which left me with a half pound of bacon to use up somehow. I know I could have just made the standard bacon and eggs, but I usually like to get creative and use it up for dinner. I had all the ingredients on hand for this delish sounding dinner pie, except fresh basil , which my lovely husband picked up for me. It was a very satisfying meal, and very popular with the whole family. I will definitely be making this one again!
Original recipe by DonnaK at Allrecipes
- 1 (9 inch) deep dish pie crust
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound bacon – cooked, drained, and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Prepare pie crust.
3. Layer Tomatoes,then basil, green onions, spices and bacon.
5. Cover with tin-foil and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Remove tin-foil bake for additional 30 minutes.