I have had an extra can of cranberry sauce in my pantry since Thanksgiving, and because there is no turkey planned anytime in the near future, I went recipe hunting. I found the recipe for Cranberry Chicken at Allrecipes and it was the perfect meal. Chicken was on sale, I also had a box of stuffing to use up, we had sidekicks. So it just seemed meant to be. It was a nice taste of fall, during a warm summer night.
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 pounds chicken thighs, with bones and skin
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. dry mustard powder
- 1 can cranberry sauce
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place butter and onion in 13×9 inch casserole dish, and place in oven. Set timer for 15 minutes. Stir onion every 5 minutes.
- When onion has cooked, Take pan out of oven and push all the onions to one side. Add chicken. Return to oven for 25 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients. Scoop onions out of pan and stir into the cranberry mixture. Spread cranberry mixture on each piece of chicken. If you have extra add to pan.
- Bake for an additional 25 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!
There are few things my husband and I agree on, at least in the area of food. I am most lucky to have been married to him for a wonderful 18 years (Happy Anniversary Hubby), and in those years I have learned he will pretty much eat whatever I put in front of him. I appreciate this about him, as I do love variety. I think he could quite happily eat the very same thing every single day. One of the rare things we do agree on is the mint, chocolate combo. It is pleasant, it is delightful. So what better recipe to share than these gorgeous brownies.
Recipe very slightly adapted from Yummy Crumble – Thanks! They were a big hit!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 3 large room temperature eggs
- ½ cup melted salted butter
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 oz. softened cream cheese
- 6 tbsp. sugar
- 6 tbsp. sour cream
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- ¼-1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- green food colouring
- 15 chopped Oreo cookies
For the topping
- 6 Oreos
- 1 cup Andes Mint Chocolate Pieces- divided
- Combine brownie ingredients with hand mixer until completely combined. Layer a 13×9 inch baking pan with tinfoil. Then scoop in brownie batter. It is thick, so just smooth out as evenly as possible.
- Wash your beater sticks. Beat cream cheese until smooth. A good 3 minutes. Add sugar. Beat until mixed in. Add sour cream, vanilla and salt. Beat until mixed. Add egg. Again, beat until mixed. Then add peppermint extract and food colouring. Fold in Oreos. Scoop cheesecake batter onto brownie batter, and smooth out with spatula.
- Place in oven that has been preheated to 350 degrees. Bake for 50 minutes.
- Chop remaining 6 Oreos for topping, sprinkle over cheesecake. Melt 1/2 cup of the Andes and sprinkle melted chocolate over Oreos. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Andes, then place in refrigerator. Chill for at least 4 hours. Use a hot knife to cut into bars.
- Eat and enjoy!
Good morning folks! It is getting hot, summer is certainly here. I am currently making next weeks meal plan, and trying to find recipes without the use of the stove, is proving to be a bit trying. So taking a break, to write to you all. This recipe we made on one of the cooler nights, when the oven could be used. It used so much macaroni. Truth be told, I cooked the amount required in the recipe, but I couldn’t fit it all into my pan. So I currently have a bunch of cooked macaroni sitting in my fridge waiting for another use. Shockingly, it may go in the garbage. We are not wasters, we eat everything, but that macaroni may be past its prime. This was a fun dish, our son absolutely loved it. I hope you enjoy too!
Recipe slightly adapted from Allrecipes
- 2 pounds elbow macaroni noodles- Do not use this amount, cut it in half for sure!!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) package Feta cheese- I doubled this, I recommend you do as well 🙂
- 1 (19 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 cup butter
- Cook macaroni until al dente. Drain.
- Cook beef with onion until cooked through, and onion is tender.
- In large casserole dish combine cooked pasta, beef mixture, cheeses, tomatoes, cinnamon and salt and pepper.
- Combine milk and cornstarch in saucepan. Bring to a boil, while whisking, boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted. Pour over pasta mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Eat and enjoy!
We tried out a new pizza place this weekend. It was not in usual location Calgary, we were up for a day in Banff. We tried Rocky Mountain Flatbread, which is located on the bottom floor of one of the mall food courts. With many different options to choose from, plus a make your own option, we decided to share a few smalls and try out some different flavours. We went with the standard flavours, Margherita and Pepperoni, and went outside the box a bit and also tried the Apple Chicken. Both the Margherita and Pepperoni were hits, and although we liked the apple chicken, I’m not sure we would make an effort to go back and order it. The service was very friendly, the pizza was piping hot. The cheese was just as obey gooey as you could want, so all in all, it was a perfect little lunch.